Hope Among the Living

Anyone who is among the living has hope - Ecclesiastes 9:4
Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength - Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

It's A Quality Life

Dr. Nemunaitis called from Baylor yesterday afternoon to explain that mom couldn’t be in the study. Apparently the committee was unwilling to budge on the tumors in her brain, even though they had been treated and were eliminated or in check. This was, needless to say, disappointing. He did offer that there was another study starting in the latter part of August done by Dr. Fay, but because of the delay, that wasn’t very comforting. Dr. Fay’s office called and talked to dad about it today, and mom is on the list. They also said that things open up on a day’s notice, so to remain hopeful and ready.

Mom and dad had talked about this phone call in advance and were at peace with whatever Baylor’s answer would be. In fact, mom is at peace with everyone and everything, ready to let go of whatever God doesn’t have for her, and it’s ok. So we’re not planning on any trips to Mexico or Houston, and not looking for any new chemotherapy or alternative medicines. If something like the dendrite vaccine opens up suddenly at Baylor, mom will give it a shot, but for now, we are just going to take one day at a time, try to give mom the best quality of life possible, and enjoy our time together. We have had some rich family time in the last few days and weeks, and want to continue that.

Again, it’s great to know she is loved by such a great community. I think about It’s a Wonderful Life when all George Bailey’s friends come in to amaze him with their support. The advantage mom has is that she knows she’s not alone.

9 Comments:

  • At Wed Jul 20, 06:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This passage is always comforting to me because it reminds me that I am not in charge and that God's plan is better than mine:

    "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways, acknowlege him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5

    William and I love you all.

     
  • At Wed Jul 20, 07:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Steve, thank you so much for sharing this information. Although it is disappointing news, it's a reaffirmation of the wonderful love and faith of a strong family. We can only trust in God's love and goodness--whatever He has in store! Please pass my love along to your mom and dad.

     
  • At Wed Jul 20, 10:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Steve, thank you for doing this. We enjoy your Mom and Dad and of course dear Polly so much and have come to love them greatly during our years here in Stephenville. We pray for peace for all of us and are with you in spirit and hope. Sandy Reed

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 03:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Steve and Jill,

    God bless you for updating the huge numbers of us who deeply love your sweet Mother and Father. You all continue to be at the top of the prayer list of so many. God bless and keep you in this difficult, and yet hopeful time for those of us who share the faith.

    Love in Him,
    Lori Anderson

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 08:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Susie,
    I'm so sorry you didn't get in the Baylor program. I will continue to pray that there will be a way to beat this disease. You are so precious to us, Susie. Each day is a blessing and we are greedy for more days with you.
    I saw Mary Gordon in HEB, so we had a nice visit. You have so many devoted friends. I'd take that as a compliment! Hope you have a special day and get to hug each of those grandkids.
    Love to all!
    In Christ's love,
    Cynthia Rives

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 08:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted all of you, Don, Steve, andd Leslie, that Tracy and I are thinking about you daily. We have been kept up to date by Noelle and Milam and just wanted you to know that you are in our prayers.

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 09:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don and Susie:
    We are so very disappointed in the news from Baylor. I know you were looking for some good news. The Lord has a plan and a purpose for Susie and all of us, the hard thing is sometimes looking at what it is and accepting it.
    Thomas, the kids and I would love to come and see you soon. I know the kids love being in the country. I am sorry we have not come or talked to you sooner its just that I have a really difficult time dealing with things that I have can't or don't want to understand. Just know that we will continue to pray for Susie and the entire family and our church is as well. Thank you for being such an inspiration to us all in such a trying time. We love you guys.
    The Groshans

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 09:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Susie,
    You are always such a gracious lady in all you do. I am not surprised to hear you are as gracious in dying as you have been in living. My heart is heavy because I don't want you to leave us, but I am so proud of you, your family, and the race you have run. You have never let me say thank you for all the plants you have given me, but for all you have been in my life and my family's life I thank you and praise God. You have been Christ in our lives. I continue to pray for you all. I know you are in God's hands. I love you.

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 09:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Susie,
    You are always such a gracious lady in all you do. I am not surprised to hear you are as gracious in dying as you have been in living. My heart is heavy because I don't want you to leave us, but I am so proud of you, your family, and the race you have run. You have never let me say thank you for all the plants you have given me, but for all you have been in my life and my family's life I thank you and praise God. You have been Christ in our lives. I continue to pray for you all. I know you are in God's hands. I love you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home